Sunday, April 12, 2009

Woman Vs. Woman

what is it about women? I recently went to a dinner party where I was called a liar. The circumstances were ridiculous. I under estimated a detail of an event I was explaining and the woman I was talking to was fixated on that particular detail. Before I could counter re-act the detail, I was outed as a liar in front of the whole dinner party. From my perspective, I truly didn't mean to lie. I calculated wrong, that is all. The detail was minor to the context of the rest of the event. But this woman, whom I have known for years is uber competive and wanted to prove me wrong. In the name of trying to save face, I didn't take back the detail and admit I was wrong. It was so stupid. I felt really embarrassed and what started out as an accident, played into her verbal assault and I became a liar. I hate that. I hate that, once again I was broad sided and I did nothing to strengthen myself. The wonderful thing about women is our ability to love, unconditionally, uncontrollably and give ourselves to what we love. I wish we could do this to each other more often.
Why couldn't I say, "You are right. It couldn't be what I said. Sorry about that" ?
Why did the woman have to be so worried about tearing down my statement and there fore tearing me down?
Why is it that females sometimes replace compassion with competition? What is the true focus here?
So because I write a blog to help me figure life out, I also write to help me figure myself out. This is what I learned from this dinner party: I can make a mistake, take back the mistake and still save face. The point isn't who the woman says I am, the point is who I am trying to become.

No comments: